Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Food!

The first presentation I watched was with Mark Bittman and During his opening I didn't know what to expect when he compared the A-bomb to a cow. As he went on he kept stressing the overconsumption of animals. The idea that we were eating too many animals never occured to me, I know the meat in fast food joints were not the best--but just about all animals (non "Organic") are poduced with chemicals and anti-biotics. During his history lesson, the points he discussed were mainly how we need to eat less meat and more plants. This made me look at the diet of people my age and how little fresh fruits and plants are in it---and when they are, chances are they have been treated with chemicals. This presentation was just another reminder that if we dont change our eating habits, the consequenses are huge.
The second presentation was by Ann Cooper. She has a very good cause and I believe in procedures that she has practiced over the past two years. I believe food education should be a bigger part of the education system. Looking back at my elementary days, i realize that there was no food education at all. It also made me look at what was being served at my old schools; pizza, "chicken" nuggets, and burritos. All of which are not acceptable for children--who need wholesome, healthy food that will sustain them until dinner time. Her plans for increasing the spending onfood in schools makes a lot of sense, and it would be a great thing if schools across the nation had the resources to achieve the goals that Cooper has in mind.

12 comments:

  1. Very, very clear... any change in our system MUST start with the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat way too much meat!! We have to change because we eating ourselves to death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree my lunches only ever served fried burritos, cookies, and "chicken" nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we can learn anything from the state of the world today is that it all starts with children. We are not born to hate or to eat a burger. We are taught.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'd have healthier children if schools applied Ann Coppers methods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Changing our diets is much easier said than done. But we should all try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didnt watch the presentation with Mark, but reading your review of his speech gave me a great idea of what he had to say. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great insight it was! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of the facts that Mark and Jaime presented were wonderful facts, they really gave me a new insight on things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never saw it in the way that we eat too many animals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the Cooper one and i thought some facts were interesting but it was hard to understand since she talked too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blog Props: I am really glad that we got to know each other better this year! It was cool how we had like 3 days of class together. You're a really smart guy. So keep up the good work! =]

    ReplyDelete