Monday, August 30, 2010

Fast Food

As a child, fast food was considered a treat, it was always nice to get a toy with some good tasting food. The place I went to most as a child was McDonald's. As a child I took pride in the fact that I could eat a Big Mac meal all by myself. I would love telling the cashier, "Can I get a number one please!". It was saddening to no longer receive a toy, but the feeling I got from finishing a grown up meal was well worth the trade. Sadly, the fondest memories of kindergarten included eagerly waiting for my mom in front of the school every Friday so she could take me to the playhouse and I would get to say my most favorite phrase.   

Today, as a college student, fast food is no longer a treat. It is the bulk of my diet. There is no way I can survive without a visit with my good old friend Ronald McDonald. However, Ronald can be overwhelming sometimes so thats when I pay my friend Jack a visit. Also, once in a while when I'm feeling really blue, Carl knows how to cheer me up. After my meal I often tell myself I will not go back and buy their low quality food again; I always come back. I come back day after day to smell the burnt grease that I have learned to love. The sound of the frozen patties being "flame broiled",  the crackling of the "flamed grilled" chicken or the buzzing of the fountain drinks are undeniable. When you are hungry, you are weak; I am often weak. 


Today my eating habits are not where I want them to be. So thats why I have decided to make the secondary function of this blog as a food journal. I am committed to post one self cooked meal a day. Then who knows? Maybe It will be 3? 

10 comments:

  1. The toys were always the best part!


    btw, I've yet to locate that book you were looking for. The search continues tomorrow! I'll have a definitive answer tomorrow afternoon.

    props to you taco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good things your "friends" are out there for you!
    Love your goal of one cooked meal a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your mission to cook. There are so many quick easy and CHEAP recipes available online. Not to mention you'll feel more accomplished than when you finished your "grown up meals".

    ReplyDelete
  4. good idea on cooking a meal hopefully it helps you out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey good idea. your meals look good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! Eating a grown up meal as a child is worth it, even if you do not get the toy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aha, i wish had the determination to cook one whole meal a day. But im too lazy, i have others cook for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hay. I think we may have the same friends. I must admit I really love your idea of starting out cooking one meal a day. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always say Im not going to go to any fast food resataurant and end up goin back all the time!

    ReplyDelete