Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reality Television

Reality television, in my opinion, is a very common guilty pleasure. People degrading them selves on national television is somewhat sad. The lengths people will go to to be noticed is quite extreme. From drama filled dating shows, being stranded on a deserted island, and to as simple as following a group of friends in Jersey. Programs like those are entertaining to watch because they are so outrageous and ridiculously untrue. Reality is real people, being put in UNREAL situation, where the outcome is a mix of "reality" and "actuality".

My earliest memories of reality TV must be from Survivor. I remember it was a family event. Every Thursday night we would pop out the poppin' corn and watch people try to make fire, shelter, and alliances all simultaneously. The challenges were quite entertaining too. People weaving in and out of obstacles, solving puzzles, sprinting across the jungle trying to pull the flag before the other tribe. Nowadays, shows like "Survivor" and The "Amazing Race" have lost their appeal. Mainly due to the ten years it has been on air. Unlike wine, reality shows don’t age gracefully. "Survivor" has had many season and has been all over the globe. Its all getting too repetitive.

As far as impact on society, I think they might actually put on a good impression for young adults due to the sheer courageousness of the activities taking place. They should be exposed to how unintelligent some people really are, and hopefully learn from the mistakes the other mare making on TV. Shows like "16 and Pregnant" show how difficult it is to live a normal life if you do get knocked up so young. It shows the wrongness and how society frowns upon it, and hopefully teens will be more responsible due to programs such as.

For now, my guilty pleasure will not lie with reality shows, it's all about the Food Network!

Paula's Home Cooking, Triple D, Everyday Italian, and Unwrapped. I will never leave you for the trashy reality shows, you know how to treat a guy like myself. I know the other shows are tempting, but my heart lies with you. You will always have my heart!


And about that food thing, I think you all know what happened =0!

3 comments:

  1. I agree some of those older shows have not aged gracefully at all! You wonder how they keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you; reality shows are a guilty pleasure. Jersey shore is by far my biggest guilty pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember survivor as well..i loved that show!

    ReplyDelete